Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United app offering TSA Precheck Touchless ID (LAX, ORD, ...)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 17, 2024, 11:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RobOnLI
What Is United® TSA PreCheck Touchless ID?
It is two things: (1) A way to check bags without presenting a physical ID* and (2) a way to clear the TSA checkpoint without presenting a boarding pass or physical ID. The TSA calls it “TSA PreCheck®: Touchless Identity Solution”. You can read more about it and how it works here. Delta offers their own version which they brand “Delta Digital ID”.

*A physical ID is required during the current “testing phase” when checking bags.

How do I participate in United® TSA PreCheck Touchless ID?
1. Be sure your Known Traveler Number (KTN) is in your United profile.
2. Add your passport to your United profile.
3. Travel on a single-passenger reservation.
4. Be over the age of 18.
5. Check in on your mobile device, and opt-in when prompted.

If you do everything right, you will see this logo on your digital boarding pass next to the standard PreCheck logo.

Where can I use United® TSA PreCheck Touchless ID?
At ORD and LAX. More airports are planned for the future. United will add to the list here (scroll down).

So how well does United® TSA PreCheck Touchless ID work?
Read the thread for posters’ experiences, but so far: Not so well to check bags and very well to go through the TSA checkpoint.

I’m confused; haven’t I already used facial recognition to fly on United?
Probably, but this optional way to clear the TSA checkpoint without a physical ID and boarding pass is new for United travelers. To disambiguate, feel free to read more about the TSA’s various biometrics initiatives here, and about CBP’s here. Feel free to debate them here.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2023, 8:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold

Anyone else seeing this at check in the day of or has used it before?

I didn't see when option when I checked in near T-24 and then the option popped up the day of departure but I SDC'd to tmr and that option sadly disappeared before I could check it out
Old Nov 1, 2023, 11:12 am

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by leftysauce
Anyone else seeing this at check in the day of or has used it before?

I didn't see when option when I checked in near T-24 and then the option popped up the day of departure but I SDC'd to tmr and that option sadly disappeared before I could check it out
Is this referring to biometric facial recognition?
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2023, 6:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by physioprof
Is this referring to biometric facial recognition?
They have these at PHX and SFO now. Step backwards from the passenger perspective.
Old Nov 1, 2023, 9:22 pm

Programs: Marriott Ti, OW Ruby
Originally Posted by Kacee
They have these at PHX and SFO now. Step backwards from the passenger perspective.
How so?
Old Nov 2, 2023, 1:10 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by tattikat2
How so?
They are exceptionally slow. BP or older ID scanners are much quicker.

That's not even getting into the privacy concerns.
goodeats21 likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2023, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What does the app do?

I've done the photo thing before, but you don't need the app for it.
Old Nov 2, 2023, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Maybe the OP is referring to CLEAR?
Old Nov 2, 2023, 8:59 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
I had this pop up when checking in for a flight leaving ORD this morning. I opted in but had nothing out of the ordinary happen at the airport. Went through T2 precheck instead of T1- could be why I didn't see anything.
Old Nov 2, 2023, 9:17 am

Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium
Looks like United is connecting to this program: https://www.tsa.gov/digital-id

The United App might be added to the list of Airline apps that can function as a digital ID.

I tried using my CO digital drivers license as an ID at DEN a few months ago and the TSA agent said that the Wifi connection was terrible, so the scanner didn't work well. I then tried more recently, but I didn't realize that I had to double click the side button on my iPhone, so it failed. Maybe the next time I will do it better.
Old Nov 2, 2023, 11:59 am

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by tods27
I tried using my CO digital drivers license as an ID at DEN a few months ago and the TSA agent said that the Wifi connection was terrible, so the scanner didn't work well. I then tried more recently, but I didn't realize that I had to double click the side button on my iPhone, so it failed. Maybe the next time I will do it better.
And these are the reasons I'll take physical media over digital any day.
Xyzzy, jpezaris and Repooc17 like this.
Old Nov 2, 2023, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
I'm not sure what problem this is trying to slve. If/when they want to see my ID I take it out of my pocket. I even have a few to choose from. That certainly beats figuring out which application to use, making sure that the barcode is visible and not covered by notification of a received message, etc.
Old Nov 2, 2023, 2:45 pm

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
I'm not sure what problem this is trying to slve. If/when they want to see my ID I take it out of my pocket. I even have a few to choose from. That certainly beats figuring out which application to use, making sure that the barcode is visible and not covered by notification of a received message, etc.
Likely easier to authenticate electronic ID with certificates
Old Nov 2, 2023, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by prestonh
Likely easier to authenticate electronic ID with certificates
How does that help the passenger? Smeone upthread also says this takes longer than just scanning an ID.
Old Nov 2, 2023, 3:11 pm

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
How does that help the passenger? Smeone upthread also says this takes longer than just scanning an ID.
Tsa isn't there to help the passenger 😕. They are checking id, electronically i presume. In this case it's to check ID. Valid ID means you board the flight. At some point most id validation will be electronic I am sure.
Old Nov 2, 2023, 3:14 pm

Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by prestonh
Tsa isn't there to help the passenger 😕. They are checking id, electronically i presume. In this case it's to check ID. Valid ID means you board the flight. At some point most id validation will be electronic I am sure.
Not to mention that if this starts working well, you could use automated turnstiles to do the validation (kind of like the automated passport process in the EU). In this case, it's not about boarding, but about getting through TSA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.